Mixed-sex Civil Partnerships to be available in England and Wales from end of 2019
On 15th March 2019 the Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration etc) Bill completed its passage through the Houses of Parliament. The Bill received Royal Assent on 26th March 2019 and came into force on 26th May 2019. Secondary legislation needed was completed in parliament on 5 November 2019, meaning that mixed-sex civil partnerships can take place before the end of 2019.
- Mixed-sex couples can give notice for a civil partnership from 2nd December 2019 in England and Wales
- Mixed-sex couples can register their partnership from 31st December 2019 in England and Wales
- Overseas civil partnerships will be legally recognised in England and Wales from midnight on 1st December 2019
- The 28 day notice period can be waived in exceptional cases, meaning that some mixed-sex civil partnerships can take place earlier than 31st December.
- Mixed-sex civil partnerships will be able to take place in Northern Ireland from 13th January 2019.
- Although mixed-sex civil partnerships cannot yet take place in Scotland, cps entered into elsewhere will be recognised as ‘marriage’ for legal purposes.
Sign up for our mailing list to be kept up-to-date with progress Click here